Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Why Paleo Zone?

I've been strictly Paleo Zone now for almost a month, as directed by my nutritionist to help me get off my Chronic Fatigue medication. Not just "Paleo", worse actually - right now I can't eat eggs or red meat either! It's just a bit too hard to digest...

As a former chocaholic (quite serious, eating two family blocks of chocolate in one sitting is no big deal for me) I have managed surprisingly well. I've been on and off the Zone since February, so really my descent into Paleo was pretty gradual - first I cut down my non-Paleo food to only 3 blocks a day (I get a total of 10), then every second day, now... well never really.

After about a week of steamed vegies and meat I started to go a bit crazy. I was dreaming about massive chocolate mousse cakes and craving muffins. I started (and to be honest, I still do) just starting intently at anything with potato, or caramel slices, or brownies. That's when I started looking up Paleo Zone recipes on the internet. Really, there isn't much at all. Steve Paleo has the best blog I can find so far, but the problem there is that I only get 3 block meals, and most things are geared towards 5 blocks. The carbs/protein/fat ratios are all written there, but I found it really hard to adapt.

My next problem was that really, I can't cook. I can do scrambled eggs but that's about it! I'm learning fast though, and I have a few friends now doing Paleo Zone too (one is just doing it to support me) so they are constantly helping me out. We've just started Paleo Thursdays - where we all get together and try out a new recipe. There has only been one so far, we tried Steve Paleo's Shephard's Pie (and soon will attempt our own version, a bit more Australian maybe?). I also cooked up some Paleo cookies (they were YUM, but apparently not so good for you, more on that later) and a really easy chicken soup.


So the recipes here are going to be really simple and basic. They're also going to be formatted the way I find easy to read - measurements in weight, blocks listed, complete 1:1:1 block recipes and easy to adapt. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment