Thursday, October 15, 2009

Spanish Scrambled Eggs & Fruit (Scale Free Recipe)

My Spanish Scrambled Eggs are the only recipe where I don't use scales! My dad owns a cafe a block from my house, so I used to go there in the morning to visit him and cook up my breakfast in the kitchen at the same time. He always sends me on my way with a bag of freshly made Sicilian Doughnuts (that I give to my work mates, they're not Paleo or Zone!).

One thing I've been confused about this whole time I've been on the Zone Diet and Paleo Zone are egg yolks - are they good, or bad? I used to just eat the whole egg as is, then I started eating just one yolk per meal and had the rest of the blocks in egg whites, then for some reason I cut them out completely. The yolks do contain fat (about 2 blocks fat per yolk, I never count it though) but they also have all the nutrients in an egg. Either way I can't have them  now and apparenlty it was the egg whites that hurt me in the end - they're "binding" and therefore harder to digest. If you don't like egg yolks, just use two egg whites per egg in the recipe below.

Spanish Scrambled Eggs
Zone: 3 blocks
Ingredients:
1/4 large brown onion (use 1/2 if the onion is small) (1/4C)
1/2 tomato (1/4C)
3-4 mushrooms (1/4C)
2 eggs 1 egg white (2.5P)
30g ham (off the bone if you can) (1/2P)
1 tsp olive oil (3F)
salt, pepper
italian herbs
1 apple or 1 pear or 16 cherries or 240g strawberries (2C)

  • cut up the fruit and put to the side
  • crack eggs into a bowl and mix well
  • cut up the onion, tomato, mushrooms into small pieces and add to the bowl
  • cut up the ham and add to the bowl
  • mix everything well, add salt & pepper if you like
  • get a frypan on a medium heat, add oil
  • when oil is hot pour everything in and cook on a low - med heat 
  • cook for at least 5 -7 minutes. The egg will be done first but as long as the heat is low it will cook out the onions so they won't be crunch.
  • serve on a plate, add italian herbs if you like, and mix (can have with or without this, both are yum)
  • eat fruit as dessert, add some cinnamon to the apple for something different.
* If the onion is too crunchy cooking this way it just needs to be cooked longer. If you prefer to cook it separately, just put the onion in first with the oil and cook  until it starts to go translucent, then add the other vegies and cook until the mushroom starts to welt, then add the eggs and ham. This way just takes a bit longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment