Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Getting Started - Zone Block Weight Measurements

All Zone Block measurements seem to be in cup measurements, and when I'm dieting I like to know that I'm doing it fairly accurately which is why I like to weigh everything. Before that I was worrying about whether I was eating too much brocolli if I chopped it up smaller since more would fit in the cup, and how much difference the size of the carrot would make, I  know - quite silly.

So I looked everything up on CalorieKing.com.au, worked out the blocks and wrote it all down on two bits of pink post it notes that live next to my scales.

Meats and fish are easy, deli meat (always use premium!) and fish is roughly 45g per block, meat and tuna is roughly 30g per block. Below are the list of vegie measurements that I use. However as a rule, if it comes in a tin/packet (tuna, sweet corn) go with the measurement on that. Also check the ingredients - lots of that stuff has added salt, sugar or oil.

Alignment is a little off, I'll fix it up later. I have this all in a word doc somewhere so will post a link soon!


   
Vegetables
1 Block (g)
Asparagus
230g
Brocolli
139g
Capsicum
150g
Carrot
94g
Cauliflower
170g
Celery
265g
Cucumber
247g
Green Beans
127g
Mushroom
275g
Onion
90g
Sweet Corn
75g
Tomato
230g
Turnip
140g
Zucchini
70g
Fruit
1 Block (g)
Apple
65g
Non Paleo
Snow Peas
163g
Chickpeas
40g
Potato
57g
Fats
1 Block (g)
Avocado
10g
Hazelnuts
1.5 nuts
Almonds
3 nuts
Pinenuts
13 nuts
Macadamia
1 nut

Some of these vegetables contain protein as well (mushrooms, green beans). I don't count it because vegetable protein is an incomplete protein and is a very poor source compared to meat. Since it doesn't matter if you go over on protein blocks (it doesn't break down to fat OR increase insulin), it doesn't hurt either way. Plus it makes it all way easier to work out a recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment